Do you find it hard to get exercise in? Do you feel like you are just too busy to make it happen? If that is the case, try out some of these simple solutions to squeeze in a little exercise throughout your day.
1. Park as far away from the building as possible and walk in.
2. Skip the elevator; take the stairs.
3. Squat while brushing your teeth.
4. Balance on one foot while blow-drying your hair.
5. Do walking lunges to the bathroom every time you go.
6. Do 10 full roll ups when you get out of bed (instead of one).
7. Do pushups off the counter while you wait for your coffee pot/cup to finish filling.
8. Run up and down the stairs ever time you pass them.
9. Walk on the curb rather than the flat ground (balance training).
10. Take the long way to the break room.
11. Use a stability ball as a chair at your desk.
12. Take calls while standing up.
13. While sitting, squeeze your bum repeatedly.
14. While your driving, repeatedly brace and release your abs.
15. Crank up the tunes while cleaning and dance around.
16. Suggest active dates like hiking, biking, skiing, and snowshoeing.
17. Do these desk stretches daily.
18. Use half your lunch break to take a quick walk.
19. Take advantage of commercial breaks to run in place, do some jumping jacks or do some strength training.
20. Doing a Netflix binge? Do 10 minutes of exercise between each video.
If you are ready to take it up a notch, three 10-minute bursts of exercise can be just as good as one 30-minute workout. Can you do 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes on lunch and 10 minutes after dinner? Check out a number of quick workouts on our YouTube page.
Once you are ready to kick it up one more notch, take these simple three steps into consideration.
1. If you haven’t been able to do much exercise in a while, it would be wise to set a small goal such as three 30-minute workouts per week.
2. Be sure to be specific with where, when and how you are going to do your workouts. The more specific you are, the better chance you will be of making it happen. For example, “I am going to go for a 30 minute walk every Monday, Wednesday and Friday after dinner.” Write it down in your schedule. It is a non-flexible appointment. Nothing can go in its place. We call this penning it in; no penciling in your workout.
3. Have your workout clothes, shoes and water prepared for the workout. For example, if you plan on working out on your lunches, pack a bag with your clothes, shoes, water bottle, and cleansing cloth to freshen up. Put it in your car the night before. When you take it out of the car after the workout, restock it and put it right back in the car for the next time.
The lesson today is to just do it. If you don’t find the time for exercise, you will regret it before long. Staying active is one of the best ways to avoid disease, expanding waistlines and higher energy levels throughout the day. Pick at least one of these ideas and make it a priority for the next week. As time goes on, you will find yourself being more and more active and very happy you began the process.